Ogun shuts Gateway Poly over incessant robbery attacks

The management of the Ogun State owned institution yesterday announced the immediate shutdown following incessant robbery attacks on the students.

The students are to stay out of school for the next two weeks.

Armed robbers had been attacking students of the polytechnic according to reports dispossessing them of their valuables.

A student was reportedly killed in the latest robbery incident which occurred last Saturday while about nine others were injured.

More than three robbery attacks had occurred in the last two weeks during which the students and residents of Isara, Ipara and Ode communities have been attached.

Last week, the students staged a protest to express their grievances.
The situation has, however, forced the management to shut down the school pending when normalcy is restored.


President of the Students’ Union Government of the school, Olatunji Idowu Alexander, also confirmed this development on Monday.

In a memo signed by the acting Registrar of the institution, J. O. Popoola, the school management announced the introduction of online classes for the students who just resumed for the 2023/2024 academic session.

“I have the directive of management to inform all students in the polytechnic that all physical lectures have been suspended on campus for the next two weeks with effect from Monday, December 4, 2023,” the memo reads.

Reading further, it says, “In view of this development, all students are to note that online lectures have commenced with immediate effect. Therefore, students are directed to join online classes in order to continue lectures for the current semester.

“To this end, all students are to steer clear of the polytechnic premises till physical lectures resume again at a date that will be communicated soon.”

Check Also

Two Oil Thieves Arrested, As Navy Destroys Camp In Bonny Rivers

In its desperate determination to ensure that the illegal activities of crude oil thieves are thwarted, the Nigerian Navy has killed one oil thief, arrested two suspects who had engaged naval personnel in a gun duel while armed onboard two speedboats.