TETFUND: Rector, Fed. Poly Bida, Lays Foundation Of N600million For 3 projects

Olabode Adaramola

The Rector of Federal Polytechnic Bida, Dr. Abubakar Abdul Dzukogi, at the weekend  laid foundation for three projects at the sum of about N600 million under 2019/2018/ 2027 academic sessions’  TETFund projects,  this he said, was in a bid to ensure the provision of  befitting structures for better teaching and learning in the institution.

Dr. Dzukogi, during the foundation laying  ceremony on  the campus of the institution in Bida , last Friday stated that the total cost of the three projects is about N600 millions,  adding that projects  were expected to  be completed within the next Six months  with  it’s  specifications, pointing out  that the projects will  surely be part of his legacies in the Polytechnic .

  1. According to him, the projects as awarded include:  a  One storey building of a lecture theater comprising eight (8) lecture halls with 200 seating capacity for each hall and to be constructed at the rate of N133 million each,  which will be  completed within 24 weeks duration.

He also explained  that among the ongoing projects to be constructed by  his administration is  construction of  the Central Multi Purpose Laboratory, which   he described as first of it’s kind in the Polytechnic.

He stressed that the idea came from the current ASUP”s  National Vice President, whom he said was from the institution,  during his( Dr. Dzukogi’s) first tenure, saying, “the project is to cost N172 million to construct and to be furnished with N38 million, while it will  be completed within 24 weeks duration.

The Rector, also disclosed that  a  Computer Based Test ( CBT) Centre was to be constructed within the next  6 months with 500 seating capacity at the sum of N201 million and will  be furnished with N49 million making the total sum of the three projects to be N583 million”.

He thereby expressed satisfaction with the approval of TETFund Special Intervention for other projects which may  include the construction of  students Hostel accommodation  after retiring many others in the last five years of his administration, in the Polytechnic, just as he  commended the Federal Government for some of the valuable projects in the institution.

Dr. Dzukogi, in a brief interactive session with the newsmen, on the sidelines of the Foundation laying ceremony,  disclosed that at the moment,  only about 40 percent of the students population live on the  campus of the institution, while the remaining 60 percent others, were living off campus, a situation , he described, “as not good enough for the Polytechnic.

This, he said,  “the inadequate hostel accommodation for the entire students population  has impacted negatively on  the security of lives and property of the students,  especially those  students who are living off campus of the Polytechnic”

Speaking further, he said, ” in an attempt to proffer lasting  solution to the problems of inadequate hostel accommodation on the campus, that the Management of the institution had  approached property developers to come to invest in the provision of hostel accommodation based on Build, Occupy and Transfer arrangement ( BOT) and in addition with subsequent TETFund  intervention”.

He however warned the contractors handling the ongoing  projects to be up and doing by ensuring  completion of the projects to specifications  within the time frame, stressing that  the institution’s  monitoring team and external supervisors will ensure  delivery of the ongoing  projects under construction,  as this will  make it possible  for more projects to be attracted to the institution.

The Rector,  assured   that he will try to offer his best services to the Polytechnic, despite the  turbulent period of the past five years of his administration, saying “i have remained undaunted and undistracted while i once again  call on every critical stakeholders to embrace peace in this institution,  if meaningful development must be achieved”

Dzukogi said , despite the crisis bedevilling the Federal Polytechnic, Bida, the the institution has moved  from it’s former 12th to position 5th in the  rankings of  the entire 25 Federal Polytechnics Nigeria by the National Board of Technical Education( NBTE) as well as ensuring  the institution’s   sustainable standard.

He reiterated the resolve of his administration  to ensure that the The Federal Polytechnic, Bida becomes the number One Polytechnic in Nigeria, before the expiration of his second term in office around May, 2023, by  the the grace of God.

Accordingly, Dzukogi said,  “the institution is greater than any individual(s) hence the need for everyone in the Polytechnic  to embrace peace and ensure peaceful co-existence with one another, so as to move the institution to a  greater heights.”

Post Author: Friday Ekeoba